Enabling transboundary cooperation and integrated water resources management in the White Drin and the extended Drin Basin
What do we want to achieve
This project will complement the recently approved GEF Full Size Project “Enabling transboundary cooperation and integrated water resources management in the extended Drin River Basin” (Drin GEF FSP) by fully integrating Kosovo, and the White Drin sub-basin, into this multi-country effort.
Results by 2018
· Consensus between Kosovo and the rest of Drin riparian countries on key transboundary concerns and drivers of change, including climate change and variability, reached through joint fact finding.
· Visioning process for the White Drin is part of, and complements, the visioning process at the Drin basin level and opens the way for systematic cooperation in the management of the transboundary Drin River Basin
· Kosovo joins the rest of the Drin Riparians and donors in their commitment to sustain joint cooperation mechanisms and to undertake priority reforms and investments.
· The operationalization and strengthening of the institutional and legal frameworks for transboundary cooperation will facilitate balancing of water uses and sustaining environmental quality throughout the extended Drin Basin.
· Benefits demonstrated on the ground by environmentally sound approaches and technologies new to the White Drin sub-basin.
· Public support and participation to IWRM and joint multi-country management enhanced through stakeholder involvement and gender mainstreaming.
· Political awareness at all levels and private sector participation strengthened through higher visibility of the project’s developments and targeted outreach initiatives